Thursday, December 27, 2007

the list: didn't hear it, didn't miss it

Proudly announcing the debut of a new feature on CH: "the list," a top 5, or 10, or however many, of whatever I feel like listing. Will appear sporadically, kind of like my posts.

Since I don't have access to American radio, and Japanese stores prefer tasteful orchestral renditions of classic carols, I made it through the whole Christmas season without hearing:

1) Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer -- I thought this was hiliarious when I was 10. Not so much in subsequent years.
2) Do They Know It's Christmas -- No, and they probably don't care, since Christianity isn't their primary religion. "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you." Awesome.
3) Marshmallow World -- I just don't like marshmallows. Or thinking about marshmallows.
4) The Barking Dogs' rendition of Jingle Bells -- enough said.
5) Any version of The Twelve Days of Christmas, including the original, the Jeff Foxworthy version, the annual AP story about how much those gifts would cost and the one that goes "A beer, in a tree."

I did kind of miss the Chipmunks song, though.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I've never heard of "Marshmallow World," but considering I agree with the rest of your list*, I'm glad I've never heard of it, hope to keep it that way.

* I slightly like that "Beer, in a tree" version of 12 Days. Probably because I haven't heard it in ages. :)

mizkitteh said...

No no no no nooooo. Japanese stores prefer:

2. "Last Christmas" - Wham
1. "All I Want for Christmas is You" - Mariah Carey

There aren't even enough songs to make a top five list. They just play these two over and over and over.

Karen said...

Oh yes, I did hear "Last Christmas" about 2,000 times. I was trying to forget that. :)