Monday, March 24, 2008

rehab takes way longer than i thought

One of the great things about karaoke -- aside from the opportunity to make a drunken fool of yourself -- is finally figuring out those pesky lyrics that you've never quite been able to understand. (For the record, in "Baby Got Back," the line after "So ladies if the butt is round" is "and you want a triple-X throwdown." I'd always been kind of vague on that. Also? That's my juhachi-ban now. I totally rock that song, which I proved Saturday night after Teri issued her own -- non-X-rated -- throwdown by saying "No one can sing that song, it's too fast." NEVER challenge my ability to talk fast!)

And sometimes, you have that "Kiss This Guy" moment when you realize you've been singing the wrong words for years. That happened to me playing Rock Band last week -- the Clash are singing "should I cool it or should I blow," not "should I commit or should I blow" -- although I think my version makes more sense.

Saturday I was humbled again. I'd always thought, in "Rehab," that Amy Winehouse was saying she ain't got SEVENTEEN days, which -- c'mon, Amy, you can't spare two weeks and change to get yourself together? That's about the time you go between shampoos, right? But it turns out she ain't got SEVENTY days. So, OK, I can see her point. I mean, who does?

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Never underestimate the educational value of karaoke! In so many ways ... :)

kate said...

Hee hee hee. I love it, Karen!