Thursday, January 14, 2010

#2: Lauderdale, Jan. 3

I read about Lauderdale in Metropolis, and what piqued my interest was not yet another restaurant in Roppongi, but the fact that this place actually serves breakfast. Not just weekend brunch, but honest-to-god breakfast -- we're talking pancakes and croissants here -- and on weekdays. Aside from McDonald's and chain coffee shops, it's rare to find a restaurant in this part of Tokyo that even opens before 11.

It's also rare to find me out of my house before 11, so my first meal at Lauderdale was Sunday brunch, served until the civilized hour of 4 p.m. The French-influenced, rustic-looking restaurant is in a part of Roppongi Hills I usually avoid -- Keyakizaka-dori -- because Tiffany and Escada aren't part of my everyday wardrobe. But I liked this place so much, it might tempt me to venture out on weekday mornings at the ungodly hour of 10 a.m.

I had the Floridian omelette, filled a generous portion of smoked salmon, dill and lime. The combination sounds odd, but everyone at the table agreed: it was somehow just perfect. My favorite dish, though, was the roasted chicken breast atop creamy mashed potatoes with a hint of rosemary. Brunch comes with two sides as well as a huge bread basket with enough rolls for each of us to have three, and we were impressed with the generosity of the beverages. Tea came in a three-cup pot, and the waiter tried to refill Ryoko's hot water -- something I've never seen here. Kanako's coffee, too, was refilled over and over. Alas, the impressive menu of cocktails doesn't include free refills.

Lauderdale's specialty is souffles. The gruyere and mushroom sounds delightful, except for the mushroom part. We shared an apple-cinnamon souffle, and it was just the right amount -- no way could I have eaten a whole one. It was airy and tasty, with a sugar-crusted rim where it met the ramekin.

Everyone else was eager to go back for dinner, when the menu is dominated by mussels and duck confit, but I'm more a breakfast person. Not that I wouldn't go at night. It's just that I think I'm going to be spending a lot of mornings here, especially once it's warm enough to sit out on the patio.

Lauderdale: http://www.lauderdale.co.jp/index.html

No comments: