Friday, September 15, 2006

Nice try, dude

Stopped by the Ghetto Giant on the way home from work last night (it's a crummy, neglected store, hence the nickname; near, but different from, the Bang-Bang Giant, which had a recent shooting). I got in a line where the woman in front was just finishing paying; behind her was a woman with a teenage girl. I got behind them.

A guy carrying takeout containers came up behind me and said "Excuse me" (not polite excuse me, but you-made-me-miss-my-train-you-left-side-escalator-standing-jerk excuse me) and got in front of me. I assumed he was with the woman and the girl, and they'd decided once they got in line to get takeout and he ran back for it. So I let him through.

Then he tried to go around the woman. (Note: I would NOT have messed with this woman. Her motto probably is "large and in charge.") She put her hands on her hips, blocked him and said, with much sassy head-bobbing, "I don't THINK so."

Me: Is he with you?

Her: HELL no.

I gave him the shrug/upturned palms/raised eyebrows that are the international symbol for "What the hell?", and pointed behind me.

Shamed -- and rightfully so -- he slunk away to a different line. With no cutting, this time.

No comments: