Saturday, November 11, 2006

Requiem for my curls

Of all the odd things that have ever happened to me -- and there've been quite a few -- one of the strangest happened in the aftermath of an ill-advised super-short haircut. I hated it instantly, and avoided mirrors until it started growing back.

At long last it was long enough to risk a trim, and not having learned my lesson about hasty hair decisions, I went to a mall salon whose only virtue was being close to the place I was housesitting. The stylist chatted away about the great lunch she'd just had, which included two margaritas.

So when she said "You have naturally curly hair!" I thought it was just the tequila talking.
Cause I wouldn't have spent a big chunk of the '80s with spiral-perm tubes piled on my head like Medusa's snakes if I had natural curls.

But a few weeks later, I couldn't deny it: she may have been drunk, and unable to cut straight, but she was right about the curls -- and all this happened just as every third woman in the country started wearing The Rachel.

So for a decade now, I've been plagued by curls that really aren't. There's a handful of ringlets, in odd spots, but most of my tresses are just ill-defined kinks and frizz. And that was BEFORE I moved from bone-dry Colorado to humidity-drenched D.C., where I found myself with two equally unfashionable options: spend an hour flat-ironing my hair every day, only to have my efforts mostly undone as soon as I stepped outside, or look like Roseanne Roseannadanna.

I'm sure you can guess which one I chose.

And then: light at the end of the tunnel. I met my friend Rachel for dinner during a downpour. I showed up looking like a Fraggle. Rachel showed up with sleek, shiny, perfectly straight hair -- exactly the way mine looked every day. For five seconds.

Her secret? Japanese straightening.

I've had my hair straightened before, and it never really took. If possible, it looked worse. But this is different -- special chemicals, not just perm solution, and at the step in a perm where the stylist puts in rollers, in Japanese straightening, the stylist straightens the hair with a tiny ceramic iron, in tiny sections, rather than just combing the solution through.

As you might guess, this is not cheap. Was it worth it to be rid of my curls? Oh yeah, you betcha.

Four hours and a few hundred dollars later, I'm back to being a straight-haired girl. It's been a week now, and I can't say enough how much I love my hair. It's super-soft, and shiny, and looks like I spent hours in a stylist's chair on a movie set, when really all I did was wash and comb it. I've spent maybe five minutes styling it all week. And it lasts until the hair grows back in, so I'm in the clear for a year.

Whoever invented this: arigato!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Karen,
Where did you get this done, and if you don't mind, how much did it cost?

Yeah, I'm still at home doing nothing.

Have fun in NY!

Karen said...

Hey Cory!

I got it done at a salon in Potomac called Zohra. It's a bit of a drive, but I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good salon.

It cost $600(!), plus I had to buy a special shampoo and conditioner, which smell really good but were another $50, and then I tipped $100. So my hair is now the fourth-most-expensive thing I own.

Anonymous said...

Ooohh, I am extremely covetous.

You know I'm going to spend a month now scheming how I can afford it!

Stacy said...

Perhaps in honor of your post about Japanese straightening, Blogger seems to have detected today that I am in Japan, and now your entire comments page (except for the actual comments themselves) is in Japanese. Which doesn't make my hair any straighter, but it does make me tee-hee. It also makes me wonder which button to click to send this comment, hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

good day people. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for that exact make. The prices seeking the shoes were approximately 180 pounds on every site. But finally I base this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what is your opinion?