Tuesday, February 02, 2010

#7: Marvelous Cream, Jan. 18

Speaking of things that wouldn't fly in the States: a photo of this storefront would end up on FAILblog, and deservedly so.

Oh, get your minds out of the gutter: it's ice cream. And it really is marvelous.

Marvelous Cream is similar to Cold Stone Creamery, in that its staff chops up ingredients on a marble slab to blend with your ice cream. It's different in that the portion sizes are manageable, so you don't waddle out feeling like you just ingested 8,000 calories worth of butterfat and Oreos.

I ended up here not because I felt a need to expand my ice cream horizons, but to kill time between "(500) Days of Summer" and "The Young Victoria" on MLK Day. Most of that time was spent translating the katakana menu, but I was able to read it, albeit slowly, and I settled on a combination involving raspberries and raspberry macarons. Heavenly, especially the bites with macaron chunks.

Marvelous Cream is a chain based in Japan (I went to the Hibiya Chanter location) that's also expanded to Singapore. I'd have to make more visits (many more visits ... raspberry macarons ...) to say for sure, but I think I prefer it to Cold Stone, which is inexplicably popular in Japan, with lines stretching out the door even in winter.

http://www.marvelouscream.com/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen,

great posting! Say..since you have a knowledge in reading Japanese letters.. I was wondering if you would help me with something here..

I'm planning to buy a franchise for this marvelous marvelous cream ( never I tasted parfait ice cream that i LOOOOVE all flavours).. But I stopped when opening the "franchise" section from its website with all written not in latin words..

So, I was hoping, with a generous help from you translating what's inside that page, I can at least get into contact with english based staff of them and could talk about this franchise thing further.

I know we haven't even met, but your help is very very much appreciated! Thanks in advance..Hope you can reply to my email address used as my identity..