Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Living up to low expectations

In a recent post, Stacy described me as "the calamity-prone goddess of D.C."

Yesterday I went out of my way to prove her right. At least the calamity part.

When I opened my front door last night, I heard a motor running. I thought at first my neighbor was mowing, but it got louder as I moved into the house. I followed the sound upstairs, slightly alarmed but mostly curious as to what the heck it could be.

As I climbed the stairs, I noticed it was a lot warmer upstairs than downstairs. Not just in a "heat rises" kind of way, but about 20 degrees warmer.

I followed the noise into the bathroom, where I discovered that the hook that so neatly held my hair dryer on the side of the vanity had fallen off, and improbably, somehow the hair dryer had gotten switched on as it plummeted to the floor.

I guess it had been on for hours, because it was about 90 degrees in the bathroom.

What I learned yesterday -- you can heat your house with hair dryers! Provided you don't mind the electric bills and the very real possibility of finding your home replaced by a pile of ashes.

I learn something new every day; it's not necessarily useful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You realize, of course, that you are the ONLY person on the entire planet this ever could have happened to.

And THAT'S why I nagged you to start a blog. Lack of material, my ass. : )

Karen said...

I should change the blog title to "Calamity Prone Goddess"