Thursday, May 11, 2006

Much as I love Gallery Place at 2 a.m. ...

DCist is beta testing possibly the best-ever use of text messaging (aside from whiling away the time in church). LastCall promises info on D.C. weather, movie times and concert listings, and lets you make restaurant reservations through Open Table -- all very cool. But I'm most excited about the feature that tells you Metro times. You just text METRO [NAME OF STATION], and you get the next train times, in both directions, from any station.

Oh, the possibilities! No more skidding, breathlessly, onto the platform only to see taillights fading into the tunnel! No more sinking of my heart as my bleary eyes take in the words "4 Rd Glenmont 17"! No more three-level sprint between the platforms at Fort Totten in a transit "Deal Or No Deal" (7 minutes til the next Red Line train? I'll take my chances on what's on the lower-level platform, Howie. Sorry, the Green Line train just left. Now let's watch as our contestant sprints up the escalator, weaves around plodders on the main level, and does another escaltor sprint before her 7 minutes are up!)

202-299-7949: it's already programmed into my phone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a first generation, and I don't think that I need to buy a 3G, the only thing that I am gaining is GPS. I just want to know what you think about the Iphone, if you own one or not.



________________
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]