Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Day 11: Now live from Korea

First off I have to issue a clarification -- I spoke too soon regarding chopsticks. I tried to use them Monday at lunch with a Navy commander and failed miserably. (After boasting to everyone at the table that I'd mastered them.) And then I got to Korea yesterday, where they use thin metal chopsticks that cause hand cramps.

Before I start on Korea, I have to backtrack to Tokyo because I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TO MENTION THE TOKYO ROCKABILLY CLUB!! Of all the craziness at Yoyogi Park, these guys were my favorite.

Picture: a half-dozen Japanese guys, with pompadours, sunglasses and outfits swiped from the T-birds' dressing room on the "Grease" set, strutting their coolest greaser moves as Japanese rockabilly blares from a very bad boombox. They also did some American songs, including a re-creation of the "Greased Lightning" dance number.

And they do this every Sunday.

You can see why I'm stunned I forgot to mention it. And why I totally want to live in Tokyo now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coming home on the bus the other night there was a group of guys in the back doing an impromptu drum circle. It was annoying -- until they broke out the opening song from "The Lion King." Naaaaaaasinayna, or whatever the hell that scream is. Then it was amusing, and I felt bad for curing them a few minutes earlier.

See? We have exciting stuff in DC, too!


-Erin

Janna said...

Hi Karen ... I'm Stacy's friend Janna. And I just wanted to say I'm jealous. When I visited Stacy and G, we were in Kyoto the one Sunday I was there and thus missed Yoyogi Park. Glad to hear they weren't hallucinating the experience.

Anonymous said...

Are there photos of the 'Greased Lightning' dance? Or will you be demonstrating when you return to DC?

Karen said...

Hey Janna!

We have GOT to meet up next time I'm in Denver, or you're in DC.

I'm jealous -- I'd have liked to go to Kyoto, but I squandered my chance in favor of Roppongi drinking.

Karen said...

Eric --

Both!!